Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Epic Battle Has Been Won

About 13 years ago, on a rainy spring day, the epic battle begun. I was at the Chagrin Falls Blossom Festival with my friend Marla and my brother. In the Fun House, I fell down a ramp and hurt my hand. I visited a friend who worked at the Popcorn Shop and got some ice for my hand. My brother, who was about 10 at the time, wasn't feeling well and really needed a restroom (ew! grody!). I was 15, so I didn't have a car to take him home and didn't really know what else to do, so I suggested that we go into a local restaurant to use the bathroom. Surely they wouldn't turn away a sick child. The restaurant we chose was Dink's in Chagrin Falls.

The bathroom is in the back, and is accessible through an entrance from the parking lot (I swear, this story gets better). There's also a street entrance from the front, where most people come in from. Marla and I waited in the hallway for him, since he was young and I wanted to be able to hear him if he needed something. Well, the back entrance was very wet, from people walking in during the rain storm.

I was talking to Marla and wasn't paying attention to my cup and spilled water on the floor. Out of nowhere, the manager flies back to me and says "Would you do that at home?" I said "What?" He said "That!" and points to the floor. I said "Spill water on the floor? Yeah, I've done that at home. It's not Sprite, it's just water." He said "Well, you need to mop it up." So, he gets me a mop and makes me mop it up! Then, he grabs it from me and tells me I'm not mopping correctly (meanwhile, his back entry is entirely wet from the rain. . .not as much of a concern). He then kicks us out. I said "My little brother is in your bathroom and isn't feeling well." He said "Well, you can wait outside the door and I'll tell him where you are. If you come back in, I'm calling the cops." (at which point I resisted the urge to yell "Shit on the floor!" to my brother).

Anyway, I forbade my family from ever eating there again due to how they treated me. My parents obviously didn't follow my wishes (stupid dramatic teenager!) and tried to get me to go by saying that management changed, etc. I didn't care. I didn't want to do there.

Then, I get this link: Ooh! News! Check me out!

Closed! Closed! I win! I win! I called my mom and told her I won my epic battle. She was more shocked that this Chagrin Falls institution was closing. grr.


Marla and me showing Megan the scene of the crime. . .many years later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A landmark closes down but our epic story will never die. I wonder what that guy is doing now? I wonder if he remembers how mean he was? Do you think he is a republican?