Sunday, September 21, 2008

Emmy Night Predictions!

It's that time of year. . .for my second favorite awards show (first favorite: The Tony's!!!). Anyway, my picks are below. . .along with how I made my pics. I'll let you know how I do. Feel free to comment and disagree (or agree. . .but it's more fun to fight!)

Lead Actor in a Comedy: Steve Carell (The Office)
Why?: While I love Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock, I just think that Michael Scott has had more to cover emotionally this season. I've heard good things about Pushing Daisies, but I don't see it winning this year.

Lead Actor in a Drama: Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
Why?: Admittedly, I haven't seen most of these shows, and I've only seen one episode of Mad Men, but it was good. Very good. It has lifted the television genre, and I think that Emmy voters like to reward that (although, looking at the shows that were snubbed. . .maybe not). And haven't James Spader and Hugh Laurie received enough Emmys?

Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie: Paul Giamatti (John Adams)
Why?: Haven't seen anything in this category. . mostly due to my lack of premium cable channels, so I had to go on buzz. All I heard about was how great John Adams was, Giamatti is an Oscar winner, why not add to his haul? I don't doubt he was magnificent.

Lead Actress in a Comedy: Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Why?: She does it all, and she is able to convey the subtle, but not straight comedy that the character requires. The character she created on the show she created. She's a loveable, real, funny character. Tough to do in this genre.

Lead Actress in a Drama: Glenn Close (Damages)
Why?: First, let me say that I adore Mariska Hargitay, and hers is the only show I watch regularly out of this list. BUT she won last year (or the year before), and from everything I've heard about Glenn Close in Damages, I have to go with that. Sally Field may pull through though.

Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie: Dame Judi Dench (Cranford)
Why?: Haven't watched anything in this category, but it's a pretty safe bet that when Dame Judi is nominated, she'll win.

Supporting Actor in a Comedy: Rainn Wilson (The Office)
Why?: No question in my mind. I just wonder how his nomination took this long. This season we saw him cope with the breakup with Angela in a funny, touching way. His character makes me laugh almost every show. And uh. . .Jon Cryer? Really? There was no one more deserving? Like any of the other male cast members from The Office or 30 Rock?

Supporting Actor in a Drama: Michael Emerson (Lost)
Why?: I wanted this to happen last year, when Terry O'Quinn won (also very deserving). The manipulative nuances of this character are always flawlessly played. He had to deal with his daughter being shot point-blank in front of him this season and starting to see how he handles things not going his way. A great character and a great actor. I'm picking him every year until he wins!

Supporting Actor in a Miniseries of Movie: David Morse (John Adams)
Why?: Um. . .George Washington was our first president and uh. . .John Adams is supposed to be good, right? (note: Tom Wilkinson is nominated in 2 different categories for parts in 2 different miniseries. hmm.)

Supporting Actress in a Comedy: Vanessa Williams (Ugly Betty)
Why:? This one was really tough. The only show nominated that I've watched was SNL, and with all due respect, I don't think that Amy Poehler's material was strong enough (although it's great to see SNL nominated!). Vanessa Williams to me is the strongest in this group, given my limited knowledge.

Supporting Actress in a Drama: Chandra Wilson (Grey's Anatomy)
Why?: Always strong. She won before, which may make this a risky pick, but I respect her character dealing with balancing work and home this year, as well as her son's accident, the failure of some of her interns, and trying not to be "Mommy-tracked." It just seemed stronger than Sandra Oh dealing with Burke leaving, material-wise.

Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie: Laura Dern (Recount)
Why?: Oh! Laura Dern, she was in Jurassic Park! Ok! (seriously, how many more of these miniseries categories are there? I have no f-ing clue who's gonna win!)

Guest Actor in a Comedy: Will Arnett (30 Rock)
Why?: With four 30 Rock nominees, it's tough to choose. . .and my very well mean the non-30 Rock nominee will win. Will Arnett was brilliant, and the Emmy voters looovvvvee Arrested Development, so I think odds are good that he'll win.

Guest Actor in a Drama: Robin Williams (Law and Order: SVU. chunk chunk)
Why?: I saw this episode, and Robin Williams used his kind of schizo energy and skills to portay a character who keeps taking on different identities to keep the cops off his scent (e.g. tells them he says at a B&B, gives them a number, picks up the phone and plays a convincing old woman). It was a nice way to see his skills showcased and a compelling ep.

Guest Actress in a Comedy: Elaine Stritch (30 Rock)
Why?: Hilarious as Jack Donaghy's bitchy mother. A Broadway legend. . .and funnier than the DH nominees this season. . .as well as the other 30 Rock guest appearances in the category.

Guest Actress in a Drama: Cynthia Nixon (Law and Order SVU. chunk chunk.)
Why?: I like typing "chunk chunk." No. . .actually she was incredibly creepy and convincing as someone with MPD. (see a pattern? SVU + multiple personalities = winner!). I think she had a harder workload than the other guest actresses. . .just my opinion.

Individual Performances in a Variety or Music Program: Jon Stewart (80th Annual Academy Awards)
Why?: While I think Colbert deserves it, Stewart was the best host in a while. . .esp having to present right after the Writer's Strike. I think they'll give it to him. Or Don Rickles, since this has been the Best Old Man Special category the last few years (I'm looking at you, Manilow and Bennett).

Host for a Reality or Reality Competition Program: Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)
Why?: Ok, I don't really want to pick any of the people in this category. I'd much rather have Phil Koeghan or Padma from Top Chef. Out of the choices, Seacrest works the hardest - filming a live show and having to think on his feet. So, I'm giving it to him.

Comedy Series: 30 Rock
Why?: Hands down, an amazing, solid season. Last season they needed to do some searching to find their voice, but they're definitely in their prime now and have one of the smartest comedies on tv. I love The Office, but they had some wonky eps this season. A close second.

Drama Series: Mad Men
Why?: This was tough. I LOVE Lost. Love it. The season was compelling and fast-paced, which is something we haven't seen in a while. Nevertheless, Mad Men is new, great tv, and for the reasons I stated above that Hamm will win, that is why this show will win.

Miniseries: ARGH. John Adams
Why?: I heard the best things about John Adams. And I believe what I hear.

Made-for-TV Movie: Dying to Belong. kidding. Recount
Why?: It was advertised on bus shelters here and looked interesting. A Raisin in the Sun has been done before. . .and from what I could tell has been done better before.

Variety, Music, or Comedy: The Colbert Report
Why?: They've deserved it for the last 3 years. Strongest comedic content in the category.

Reality-Competition Program: The Amazing Race
Why?: They win every year. And they deserve it. It is the best in the bunch.

Have fun watching tonight, and we'll see how I (and you!) did!

No comments: