Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'm Pro-Biotic!

I have a new love: yogurt. Seriously, I think I'm obsessed. I've moved it from breakfast to dessert and want to try every new, creamy, luscious flavor out there.

My newest habit involves going to Whole Foods, seeing what's on sale, and buying 2 (or more!). Naturally, I owe it to my blog readers to provide a review of the yogurts I've been sampling.

Brown Cow Yogurt:



They make three different kinds:
-Cream Top. This one is amazing!!! The chocolate one is my favorite because it's thick and rich yogurt with chocolate syrup at the bottom that you mix in. Better than chocolate ice cream!
-Low Fat: I don't think I've tried it
-Nonfat: Ok, I've had either this one or the low fat. Gotta say. . .they put these whole grains in it. . .it's nasty. It's like pieces of barley or wheat kernel or something in your fruity yogurt. It just ends up being kinda bitter.
So with Brown Cow, go big. Do the Cream Top and 15 extra minutes on the treadmill.

Rachel's

They definitely win the packaging battle. So pretty! And their flavors are stuff you can't imagine eating. . .so it must be good. For example: Pink Grapefruit Lychee and Marionberry Guava. Maybe the latter tastes like a coked out mayor and a tropical fruit. . .there's only one way to find out! Honestly, I had Rachel's a long time ago. I don't remember much about it. . .I think it was decent.

Yoplait Light Thick and Creamy


I quite enjoy the Key Lime Pie flavor and marveled at how they get it so thick. It's gelatin!! So basically it's jello yogurt. Two of my favorite things! I tend to get kinda sick of Yoplait and Dannon because of the artificial sweeteners, but I must admit my love of the Thick & Creamy. And please, get your mind out of the gutter.

Fage (pronounced Fah-yay)


So when finding this image, I also found the price. Almost $3 a container! It's really thick and good. . .although they have a 5% version that's 23g of fat! I had the 2% that's only 2.5g of fat and it tasted like it could have had 23. I even double-checked the label. I haven't tried the nonfat version, but I'm sure it's great. I've also heard people recommend using it as a sub for sour cream. If you know me, you know I could totally do a dollop of Daisy, so a yogurt that tastes like sour cream is perfect! Anyway, at the cost, it's a sometimes food.

Wallaby



Wallaby claims that their yogurts are made "Australian style". Apparently that means "Like Dannon, only a little thicker." It was ok. . .I only had a couple of the nonfat flavors, so maybe the lowfat ones are thicker. I tried Mango Lime and Pineapple Coconut, and they were just a little too similar for my liking. Cool cups though. . .

Also, thanks to all of you who commented about your favorite tv ads. I'll be doing another installment, so stay tuned! In the mean time, let me know what kind of yogurt you like. Unless it's that yogurt that makes you poop. I don't need to know about that.

No comments: