Monday, January 26, 2009

Clipboard People

I'm sure they exist in every city, but if not, allow me to explain. Clipboard People are the people who work for Children International or Greenpeace or whatnot who look like normal pedestrians/tourists and then when you least expect it BAM!

"Excuse me, do you have a minute for the environment?"

I used to respond: "Well, uh, I guess." then after listening to the spiel, then being pressured to give a complete stranger my credit card info (I didn't, don't worry) and pretending like I was going to go home, do some more research on Greenpeace and then pay online, I vowed never to give them another "minute" of my time. I employed a strategy and now, I will share it with you.

1) Learn to spot them. Casually look ahead. They either have on hooded jacket/windbreaker things or polos. They're most definitely holding a clipboard. They are also surveying the crowd. . .perhaps talking to some unsuspecting person.

2) If you spot one, put in your headphones, call the weather hotline from your cell. . .anything to occupy your attention.

3) As you approach the Clipboard Person, try to position yourself so that there's someone between you and them. The CP will then ask that person for a minute of their time, and you'll go by unbothered. It's their fault for not looking down the sidewalk.

4) Be careful! They usually go out in packs. If you've just passed one, odds are there are more on the same block. If your decoy was not stopped by them, stay close. They may be your protection through the whole clipboard gauntlet. If they were captured, it's fine. Find someone else. Quickly. Or cross the street. . .but beware. There may be more there too.

5) If stopped, pretend like your dad works for Shell or like you don't speak English. Do not give them money. It only encourages more of this intrusive behavior.

And since I've spent a blog post bashing some decent organizations, I would like to put the links to donate to them, if you are so inclined:

Greenpeace

Children International

No comments: