Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Creepy/Cooky

The year I moved to Chicago, a show called Spamalot was playing in town. Since I was making barely enough money to live (ok live AND be able to attend happy hour), and since I didn't quite yet understand that previews for shows were done out of town before they hit Broadway, I made no effort to see it. . .which I have regretted ever since. So, I vowed to see every Broadway show that previews here.

As a result, I suffered through The Pirate Queen. horrific.

When I saw the Addams Family was coming to Chicago starring Bebe Neuwirth and Nathan Lane, I was ecstatic. "These are two people who wouldn't be in a crappy musical," I thought. So, I bought the cheapest tickets I could (hey! It's Christmas! Can't spend too much on myself. . .), grabbed my other musical theater geek friend, Jessie, and headed to the theater!

First, I watched a lot of Addams Family as a kid, so I'm definitely familiar. I've also seen one (if not both) of the movies. I'm not going to rehash the whole musical, but basically it opens in this graveyard scene where they're doing some ceremony that involves Wednesday becoming a woman (and cutting her iconic pigtails). A few minutes/musical numbers in, we see the facade of the Addams house, which falls in dramatic fashion to reveal the family and a version of the theme song. This, in my opinion, is the beginning of the show.

One of the great things about the Addams Family is the strength of their female characters. Morticia is strong, secure, and in control. Perfect for Bebe Neuwirth. In the musical, she's a short step away from being a shallow, self-absorbed cougar. It really does both the role and the actress a disservice.

The musical couldn't figure out what story it wanted to tell - with 7 characters in the house, they could have focused on those relationships and didn't really need to introduce the family of Wednesday's boyfriend (p.s. most of the story is about Wednesday wanting to run away with a normal boy), and the most interesting characters are underused.

Also, I know his name is Gomez, but was he always latin? Hmm. Nathan Lane makes it work, but better to work with Nathan Lane, than make him make it work. . .ya know?

I'm so curious to see how this show will change before it hits B'Way. . .and if they'll get rid of the 5 minute Tango number in the show. I don't like Tango week on Dancing with the Stars, let alone in a musical.

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a squid raping a man in the show. pretty sure. . .

1 comment:

Bayjb said...

I regret not seeing Spamalot and the Producers too. The Addams family does look really intriguing though. Pirate Queen, ouch.