Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Good Times!

I've had the Good Times theme running through my head every morning for the last couple of days. To refresh you:



Sorry, the version with the actual title sequence had crappy sound quality. Anyway, "temporary layoffs. . .good times!" Just went through some at work. I'm safe, but I've never been through that before. I have to say it's bizarre. . .

1) As my coworker Pam put it: "It feels like someone died." It's just quiet - by virtue of there being less people there and because the rest of us are like "Oh crap, we'd better work!"

2) Ok, so this is gonna sound bitchy, but sometimes when you don't get along with coworkers and they get laid off, you're a little less than sad. It's a karma thing. It's also that I would much rather see good, nice people keep their jobs.

3) One of my coworkers had been there a long time and really helped out a lot of us and helped make the company run. The fact that she's gone is just insane. . .and probably why the rest of us feel a little lost right now.

Anyway, the worst part is that pretty much every company is going through this right now. . .or has already.

I liken most people's take on the economy to this quote from Mean Girls:
"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."

"Middle School" of course is the equivalent to the mid 90s. . .before the tech bubble burst.

No comments: