Sunday, November 2, 2008

Those Weird Little Moments

You know those moments. They make you stop and take stock of what you're doing with your life. I was in improv class today, and as most improv teachers do, mine asked if we had seen any shows that week. I, as usual, kinda just looked around as though I'm so interested in the shows other people saw and couldn't possibly burden them with talk of what I saw. This is akin to raising your hand in class just as someone was being called on, so it looked like you had something to add, when in reality, you didn't. I didn't see any shows. Just like the week before.

Anyway, a girl in my class mentioned that she attended the SNL audition showcase. I found out that someone else, very close to my age was part of that audition showcase. While she is wayyy more advanced than me and has been at this longer, it just makes you think "Crap. I need to step it up. How often are there audition showcases in Chicago? I'll be 40 by the time another one rolls around. I just missed a plum opportunity" Then, I went through improv class thinking "How stupid could I be wishing I was included, I'm not even the best one in this room, let alone this city. Argh. Why am I doing this?"

It sucked. Sucked. Sucked. Sucked. Then I remembered. What's Cheri Oteri doing now? Arguably one of the funniest women of the 1990s and according to IMDB her last movie was Major Movie Star (starring Jessica Simpson). Then I thought of a woman who makes me laugh almost every week - Phyllis Smith (aka Phyllis from The Office). She's not from one of the big comedy schools, yet she's on a hit show. So, there are many paths to achieve the dream. And just because you get on a show like SNL, that doesn't mean that you're guaranteed success. Although, I would like to see Cheri Oteri more. . .surely there's a sitcom out there that's right for her? Please, Hollywood?

Oh, and step 1 on my journey is going to be seeing more shows.

No comments: