Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Splash of Water in my Face

I have this little hobby. . .when I get bored, I go to real estate sites and look at houses. So, since I'm from the Cleveland area, I was looking at houses around where my family lives. Lo and behold, I find a listing for the house that my grandparents used to live in. They moved out about 12 years ago, and it's very odd to see pictures of it now. Of course the carpeting got replaced at some point, and they painted over some of the outdated wallpaper and whatnot (even though that paint is now peeling), but it's still weird to see it empty.

My grandparents have since passed on, and when I told my mom that I found their house listed online and one very major thing that had happened to it, she just said that they're up there laughing because that house is somebody else's problem now.

I never thought of that house as a headache. . .only a playground with laundry chutes (the most fun a kid can have), swinging saloon doors, and a HUGE backyard.

The thing that really got me was that my grandmother kept that house in impeccable shape. It was nicely decorated and had a garden that my grandfather tended, berry bushes, and a gorgeous magnolia tree out front. It's just weird to see it not tended for.

Anyway, it's just one of those things that make you see that time goes by faster than you realize. . .and gives you an excuse to think of some fun memories.

No comments: